Columbus State University Print Logo

Military & Veteran Students

Military & Veteran Students

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

1. The VA regional office told me I did not have to turn in my Post 9/11 Award Letter to CSU, why does CSU say I need one turned in?
a. CSU requires an updated award letter to apply a payment to the students account. Without the updated award letter the student will be responsible for all tuition and fees up front until the VA sends payment for courses.

2. The VA did not send me an updated award letter I the mail, what should I do?
a. You can access your award letter on the VA webpage,, and print off your award letter, if you need assistance navigating the webpage you can contact the CSU VA office.

3. Why does the CSU VA office require I turn in my class schedule?
a. Currently it is the student's responsibility to give their course schedule to the CSU VA office. Without a course schedule, the Certifying Official does not know the student enrolled in courses and would be unable to submit the appropriate information to the VA Regional Office.

4. I did not get paid or I did not get paid the amount I was expecting, what should I do?
a. If you are concerned about a payment you should first check with the CSU VA office to ensure the appropriate paper work was turned in. If all necessary and up to date paperwork is on record in the CSU VA office, we will direct you to the VA Regional office for payment inquiries.

5. I'm using Chapter 35 (DEA) or Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill) why do I still need to pay the school for tuition and fees?
a. CH 35 (DEA) and CH 30 pays the student directly based on their enrollment hours. If you are using CH 35 or CH 30 you will still be responsible for the cost of tuition and fees. Current pay rates can be found at the sight below.

6. I am using a VA Education Benefit to attend school, why am I being charged Out-Of-State-Tuition?
a. The Post 9/11 GI Bill will only cover the cost of the In-State tuition. If a student is currently being charged out of state tuition at CSU there is a number of Out-Of-State waivers the student may qualify for. (Note: Not all students using VA Education Benefits will qualify for a waiver.)

7. I am failing a class, what will happen if I drop that class?
a. If a student withdraws from a course for any reason after the drop/add period, the CSU VA Office is required to report the withdrawal to the VA Regional Office. Most likely the student will then owe any money paid out for that course back to the VA. This includes any housing allowance, book stipend, and tuition/fees associated with the dropped course. For more information about withdrawing from a course and attendance policies click the link below.

8. I am currently attending CSU and came up on orders, what will happen when I drop my courses?
a. The CSU VA office is required to report any drop or withdraw from one or all courses to the VA Regional Office. It is advised to contact the CSU VA office BEFORE you drop any courses. For more information on Military Withdrawals and other CSU attendance policies click on the link below.

9. I want to use the HOPE scholarship, will that work in conjunction with the Post 9/11 GI Bill?
a. Students that qualify for HOPE scholarships can still use the Post 9/11 GI bill, however, they will not receive any refunds from CSU for the GI Bill or Hope payments applied to their account. (Example: A student is being charged $3005.40 for 12 credit hours. The student is eligible for $1824.00 of Hope scholarship and 100% of their Post 9/11 GI Bill. Hope scholarship will pay $1824.00 of the student's balance and the VA will cover the remaining $1181.40. The student will still receive any Housing Allowance and Book Stipend owed.)

10. I have 100% GI Bill, should I still apply for financial aid?
a. Applying for financial aid is encouraged, but not required. Students are still able to receive Student Loans and the Pell grant, as well as other non-HOPE scholarships. Any loans, grants, or scholarships that result in an overpayment to the students account will generate a refund.

11. I am in the Reserves or National Guard and using the GI Bill. Why does it not cover my tuition and fees?
a. The version of the GI Bill designated for National Guard and Reserves, the Montgomery GI Bill Select Reserve (CH 1606), pays the student directly. It is not the same as the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Students using this benefit will still be responsible for tuition and fees owed to the school. Currently pay rates can be found at the site below.