Columbus State University Print Logo

Military & Veteran Students

Military & Veteran Students

How To Apply For Benefits


Applying for a benefit:


  1. Go to the VA Web Page ebenefits .If you have not registered for ebenefits do so, Log in after you have registered.
  2. Once logged in click on apply, on the next screen scroll down until you see Education & Training, click the link to the right that says Education Benefits. You will be taken to what is called the VONAPP.
  3. From the VONAPP answer the questions when prompted. When you come to the screen asking you to add a new form continue to Step 4.
  4. Select the appropriate form and click "Continue"
    • For Service members or veterans applying for Montgomery GI Bill , Post 9/11 , Montgomery GI Bill Select Reserve, complete a VA Form 22-1990 Education benefits application.
    • Spouse or dependents using Transferred Post-9/11 (CH 33) benefits, complete a VA Form 22-1990E Transferred Benefits Application.
    • For spouse and/or dependents of Service members classified by VA as Permanently and Totally Disabled or Deceased and have been notified by VA of eligibility for Dependents Education Assistance, or the FRY Scholarship complete a VA Form 22-5490.
    • To apply for Vocational Rehabilitation fill out a VA Form 28-1900.

5. After filling out the application and submitting it you will receive a letter from the VA Regional Office stating what you were found eligible for. Contact the Columbus State VA Office to find out what required documents are needed to use your benefit.

After You Have Applied:

  • After applying for your benefit  you can fill out the required documentation in the CSU VA Office. These documents can be found at the VA office on CSU's main campus (University Hall room 026) or on the CSU VA web page here --> Required Documents .
  • After turning in the Data Work Sheet and Statement of Understanding and any other required documentation relevant to the benefit you are using the CSU VA Office will need a copy of your current Class Schedule.
  • After the student turns in their class schedule the CSU VA Office will certify the students hours which is reported to the Atlanta Regional Office. The ATL Regional Office issues all payments to the student and the school. At this point there is nothing else for the student to do for the current semester.
  • After hours have been submitted students using the Post 9/11 GI Bill should receive an updated award letter in the mail from the Atlanta Regional Office. The CSU VA Office will need a copy of this updated award letter for the student to receive a third party contract payment for the next semester. The student can bring this document into the office at any time.