Columbus State University Print Logo

Military & Veteran Students

Military & Veteran Students

Transferring VA Benefits to Spouse or Dependent

1. Log in to ebenefits

2. Hover over the "Manage" icon with your cursor, you can find this icon near the top left of your screen.

3. After the drop down box appears select "Education."

4. You should be presented with six options, select the one that says "Post 9/11 GI Bill Transfer."

5. You will be taken to a screen that says "milConnect" at the top left of the screen. After reading the statement shown click the "OK" button near the bottom center of the statement.

6. The next screen will show all of the dependents registered. Select the benefit and dependent you want the benefit to transfer too, enter the amount of months you wish to transfer.

7. After checking the Acknowledgments boxes located under the list of dependents you can submit your request to transfer benefits.

8. NOTE:
If you do not have enough time remaining or are not eligible to transfer benefits you may still be permitted to submit the request. Understand that the request is a formal application from the Department of Defense to the Department of Veterans Affairs. The Department of Defense does not approve the dependent to receive benefits, this is done by The Department of Veterans Affairs. The dependent will be notified by Department of Veteran Affairs if he or she is found eligible. You can contact the VA Regional Office at 1-888-442-4551 for further transfer of benefit questions.